Data science is an interdisciplinary field that uses scientific methods, processes, algorithms, and systems to extract knowledge and insights from data in various forms, both structured and unstructured, similar to data mining.
Data science is a “concept to unify statistics, data analysis, machine learning, and their related methods” in order to “understand and analyze actual phenomena” with data. It employs techniques and theories drawn from many fields within the context of mathematics, statistics, information science, and computer science.
In 2012, when Harvard Business Review called it “The Sexiest Job of the 21st Century”, the term “data science” became a buzzword. It is now often used interchangeably with earlier concepts like business analytics, business intelligence, predictive modeling, and statistics.
What does a Data Scientist do?
A data scientist’s job is to analyze data for actionable insights which includes tasks such as:
- Identifying the data-analytics problems that offer the greatest opportunities to the organization
- Determining the correct data sets and variables
- Collecting large sets of structured and unstructured data from disparate sources
- Cleaning and validating the data to ensure accuracy, completeness, and uniformity
- Devising and applying models and algorithms to mine the stores of big data
- Analyzing the data to identify patterns and trends
- Interpreting the data to discover solutions and opportunities
- Communicating findings to stakeholders using visualization and other means.
How can one be a good data scientist?
In order to do so you need have these following:
- a degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, management information systems, or marketing.
- substantial work experience in any of these areas.
- an interest in data collection and analysis.
- enjoy individualized work and problem-solving.
- communicate well both verbally and visually.
- willing to broaden your skills and take on new challenges.
It is really difficult to data science on to a single page. I have books which are not less than 1500 pages long.
I have tried to put in the concept of Data Science and a few things about the Data Scientist. Hope you like it.