“Blogs are whatever we make them. Defining ‘Blog’ is a fool’s errand.”
What Is A Blog, Exactly?
Blogs are, in many ways, the Swiss Army knives of the internet.
Starting out as online diaries in the 90s, blogging has grown into a massive, endlessly varied form of communication.
Blogs can be short story collections, recipe hubs, role-playing games, or records of UFO sightings. They can help businesses advertise, educate customers, inform shareholders, or inspire community interactions.
Chances are if you can imagine it, there is a blog about it somewhere. Probably hundreds of them!
Blogs are one of the last level playing fields on the web.
How Is It Different From Blogging?
Blogging is simply the act of starting and writing a blog!
Blogs are so ubiquitous because anyone who’s able to put type can become a blogger. You don’t need to know how to type fast; you don’t need to be able to see or hear. You can’t be too old or too young to blog. You don’t even need to know anything about computers or the internet!
Blogs Vs Websites: What’s The Difference?
Blogs are a type of website. So what makes a blog? Blogs are typical:-
- Updated regularly
- Display the most recent post first
- Usually (but not always) allow readers to add comments
Why Do People Blog?
People blog for many reasons. Blogging can help you become a better writer, can make you some money on the side, or give you a platform for sharing your ideas.
Some of the most common reasons people start a blog include:
- As a way to network with people sharing a common interest.
- To market or advertise a business.
- To make a difference by sharing political and social issues.
- As a resume for highlighting expertise.
- As a way to express creative ideas.
- To share knowledge with others that want to learn a new skill.
- To make money as a side hustle – or even as a career.
What Topics Do People Blog About?
Sometimes figuring out what to blog about is the hardest part. Luckily, we have some great ideas to get you started:
- Fashion – makeup, clothing, hair, and beauty products.
- Travel – vacations, best places to visit, your own travels, restaurants, entertainment or even RVs.
- Technology – software, programming, web development, web design, and startups.
- Business – industry updates, real estate, expert tips, and best practices.
- Content marketing – how to market your business, SEO best practices, email campaigns.
- Food – recipe sharing, restaurants, kitchen equipment.
- Finance – industry happenings, ways to make and save money, budgeting.
- Health and Fitness – sports equipment, nutrition, exercise, dieting, fashion.
- Lifestyle – gardening, home improvement, organization, travel, survival.
- Personal Development – time management, health awareness, mindfulness.
- Parenting – child development, product reviews, tips for age stages.
- Professional & Academic – colleagues and peers discuss their fields of expertise, like CPAs.
- Instructional – tutoring, how-to’s, guides.
- Entertainment – humor, memes, video, music, podcasts.